Sunday, March 14, 2010

My first project was insprired by Becky at The Picket Fence : "spring" nest wreath.

I love the idea of a literal "spring' wreath made out of springs... it tickles my love for playing with words and I just happen to have a mattress of springs leaning against my garage. We had replaced all of our sons' mattresses this winter and one still was waiting to be disposed of. So I was quite giddy to have this fun project to start with. So here is my take on Becky's wreath. \

Here is the mattress against my garage. My two nieces were my "helpers". My hands were quite scratched up as I wrestled with wire cutter and springs.








The first time around I tied the springs together with ribbon, but it became apparant that using hemp or twine was a stronger and better option. It gave the wreath better shape.

For the nest I found a half foam sphere that worked great. I shaped the bottom using the head of a screw driver and then painted it brown. I found a bag of brown shredded paper used to decorate baskets to use as "nesting" material. White glue did not work well... or at least not quick enough for me. So out came the hot glue gun.


It's not too pretty yet but stay with me.



Now isn't that prettier.
Here the final product.

and here was my inspiration...



It's All Good


1 comment:

  1. I think it looks adorable, Deb. If I didn't have to spend all my money on yarn and food, I'd make one too!

    ReplyDelete